Have you ever wanted to do something nice for someone, but you weren’t quite sure what? Maybe there’s no time or budget for a shopping spree? Or maybe you’d just like to add a personal touch by making something yourself. If that’s the case, keep reading.
A gift basket is a perfect offering for a loved one. You can pick and choose each item that you put inside it. You can make it as big or as small as you like, and you can use any color you like for the base and the bow. What makes this project even cooler, is that you won’t have to spend much money since you can reuse things around the house that you might normally throw away or abandon.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- An empty box or container that is the size of your choice. Today I’m using a small cardboard box.
- Decorative paper. Wrapping paper will do.
- Tissue Paper
- I usually have some of this left over from a birthday or a holiday in my gifting bin in the garage.
- A clear plastic bag that’s big enough for your box and a few gifts to fit into with a little extra for tying room for the ribbon to go around.
- A long piece or ribbon or a strip of fabric
- Card stock
- Gifts that will fit into your container. You can make gifts or buy them. Here’s where you’ll get even more creative by considering things your gift recipient might love. Anything from travel-sized knick-knacks to hand-sewn trinkets might make them beam with happiness.
- A bread tie or pipe cleaner cut in half.
- Cut a piece of wrapping paper that is big enough to wrap around the outside of your container. Turn the piece of paper upside down, put your container on top of it (bottom side down) and wrap the sides of the paper up and over the sides of the container. You can tape the wrapping paper down on the inside to keep it in place. But if your paper is thin and flexible enough (most wrapping paper is), it should stay put.
- Cut a piece of cardstock as backing for the gifts you’ll put in your basket and tape it to the inside wall of the wrapped container.
- Fill the bottom of your container with tissue paper. You can ball it up, but don’t squeeze it down too small. You’ll need it fluffy enough so your gifts will sit up tall.
- Put your box with tissue paper and backing inside your clear bag. Use clear tape on the back to tighten the plastic bag around your container.
- Arrange your gifts within the bag and basket facing away from the cardstock backing.
- Squeeze the top of your bag together and twist your pipe cleaner around it to close it.
- Use your ribbon to tie a bow around the same spot you tied the pipe cleaner. Be sure to cover your pipe cleaner with the ribbon to hide it.
All done. Happy gifting!